As all of you know, I get up at the ass-crack of dawn to go to the gym. In fact, before the sun is up I’m on my way there. An important part of bodybuilding is getting your macros, especially protein. Also, it being the early morning, I like to have some coffee prior to starting my day. My stomach would feel all bloated and full if I had a protein shake, then a few cups of coffee. Then it hit me, to combine the two. Today I’ll share my caffeine infused protein shake, and how to tailor it to your personal fitness needs.
This isn’t a super complex article but the flavor is second to none. All you’re really doing is substituting the water/milk in your protein shake, for coffee.
Coffee (4 cups minimum Id say)
Protein Powder (preference, I use MusclePharm Combat Whey Cookies and Cream flavor)
Peanut Butter (optional, will explain below)
- Brew up your coffee. My coffee pot has a “stronger” option on it and I’ve always just used it. I perfer New England Coffee’s French Vanilla as I don’t need sweetener.
- Add about half the coffee you intend to drink to the blender
- Scoop in your desired amount of whey. I use 2 scoops
- Add in the rest of the coffee.
- Add milk if you absolutely have to. 1 cup maximum
- (If trying to add mass) add in 2 scoops peanut butter. I leave it out as Im trying to lower fat percentage)
- Blend up for a good 2 minutes
- Serve over ice
The whey tends to cause some foam on top of he coffee if you let it sit. A quick stir will fix this.
This isn’t groundbreaking, yet it took me a while before I realized just how good it could be. If you’re adding in the peanut butter it ends up tasting like a Reese’s peanut butter cup. I end up getting 50g of protein and 280 calories, plus my coffee for the morning. Not too bad, and leaves me enough calories to have a huge lunch.
You can really up the caffeine content if you make “Army Coffee.” GOJ told me about it and its basically where you re-brew the already made coffee through the machine again, but its not for the faint of heart (literally and figuratively.)
If you want to gain 75lbs of muscle in 4 hours, add a few shakes of kratom!
Let me know if you guys already do this or if you try it and like it.