The 3 Rules of Cobra Kai

We’re going to have a little fun today while also discussing some important life principles from an unlikely source, the Cobra Kai series on YouTube Red.  Now admittedly, I have not seen the entire series yet, only the first few episodes that they have up for free.  From what I’ve watched, however, it is definitely a series that I intend on finishing.  Let’s go over a brief recap of the first few episodes before getting to Cobra Kai’s 3 rules for their dojo and why they are so relevant for every man out there.

The Story

Things haven’t been going to well for Johnny since the tournament he lost against Daniel-san.  We find him in his 40’s, regularly drunk, and just fired from his job.  Meanwhile, Daniel-san is a successful businessman who runs his own car dealership (although how he’s able to generate so much business with his cringy as hell commercials is beyond me).

The circle of life makes a full spin one night when Johnny saves a lone kid from getting beaten up by a group of the popular kids.  The kid begs Johnny to teach him Karate so he can stand up for himself to which Johnny humbly tells him to fuck off.

After a chance encounter between Johnny and Daniel-san at the car dealership, Johnny decides to open Cobra Kai back up and begin teaching the loser and misfit high school kids to stick up for themselves using his no nonsense, non-PC style.

At his first class, he goes over the 3 rules of Cobra Kai and, in a rare display or wisdom, tells his pupil how the relate to real life.

Rule 1: Strike First

Fortune favors the bold.  It’s an old saying we’ve all heard, but it still rings true today.  If you find yourself in a position where time is of the essence and/or a large opportunity or obstacle is before you, do not hesitate, strike!

There’s a time for patience and waiting for the right moment, but so many men today do nothing but wait…

and wait…

and wait…

Sometimes, thinking is overrated.  Strike first and then figure out the rest.  Begin building that momentum and adjust after you’re already moving forward.

Rule 2: Strike Hard

You’ve struck first, great, but being the first to go on the offensive doesn’t mean much if you declare war with a half-hearted slap on the opponent’s cheek.

Whether it’s a fight or a business venture, when you do decide to strike, you must strike hard.  Your actions must leave a lasting impact.

You know what you call a half-hearted strike?  A waste of your time and energy.  If you’re going to commit, commit with all your being.

Rule 3: No Mercy

I especially love this rule, not because I’m some sadistic bastard, but because it’s a rule that grates against the “morality” of modern culture.

“Why wouldn’t you show mercy?  That’s not very nice!”

Newsflash: Life isn’t nice.  Life isn’t fair.  Life won’t show you mercy so why should you show it any?

Whatever endeavor you set yourself to, do it until completion.  Do not show mercy by only completing 99% of it.  Like an enemy army, that remaining 1% will regroup, grow, and come back with a vengeance.

Finish it completely the first time.

Conclusion

I’ve only seen the first few free episodes of Cobra Kai, but I must admit that it definitely has me intrigued.  I like the direction it’s heading and the Red/Blue Pill dynamics at play between Johnny and Daniel-san.

Now it could take a complete nosedive further along with Johnny getting in touch with his softer side, but barring that happening, I think we might have another RP cult classic in the making!

Have you seen Cobra Kai yet?  Let us know what you think down below!

Author: Jak

Jak, married and father of three, seeks to help the Red-Pill Community take its next step past the petty cynicism and ineffectual anger. While he recognizes that men are significantly handicapped by the modern legal system and culture, he doesn't accept that traditional marriage is untenable in today's social climate. Rather, men must be willing to adapt to this new world by implementing new tactics and approaches to maintaining a balance of power. Jak is here to provide you with these lessons.