Jak and I have decided to do a 3 month challenge -starting May 18, 2018 and ending August 10, 2018- where we will compare the differences between doing weight training (J.Nyx) and bodyweight exercises (Jak). Each Friday we will share our results, what changes we’re going to make to our respective programs, and specific benefits/issues we come across.
We’ll go into further detail about our respective routines as time progresses, but just as a quick overview here is what our individuals programs will be centered around:
- Workout routines employing only bodyweight exercises. Will start with fairly basic exercises and progress to more difficult variations as needed.
- Light to moderate cardio as time permits.
- Martial arts training.
- Paleo-inspired diet, minimizing grains and sugar; Low to moderate carb intake. Nutrition derived solely from food. No supplements.
- Intermittent fasting on most days following the 16/8 (fasting/eating)principle.
- Cold showers, because why the fuck not?
- Full body split, high volume bodybuilding routine. Incorporating compound and isolation lifts.
- Regimented cardio every day even rest day
- Diet is strict low carb, ketogenic diet. In cutting phase, so slight deficit calories. Whey protein shakes as only supplement to hit macros.
- Hot showers cause I’m not a fucking tool
While this is not a competition between us per se, we will be measuring our progress and, as men want to do, this challenge will likely have an air of friendly competition. In the end, we’ll both be winning as we push each other to the next level.
Some of the basic criteria we’ll be monitoring/cataloguing on a weekly basis are shown below:
- Chest measurements
- Bicep measurements (relaxed)
- Waist/Hip measurements
- Weekly Pictures
We believe this is a great experiment to highlight the differences between these two styles of training and to help you readers determine which approach best suits your own needs.
Jak’s Stats: Starting Point (Bodyweight Training)
- Chest measurements – 39.75 in
- Bicep measurements (relaxed) – 13.75 in
- Waist/Hip measurements – 39 in / 41.25 in
J. Nyx’s Stats: Starting Point (Bodybuilding)
- Chest measurements -41.5 in
- Bicep measurements (relaxed) -15.25
- Waist/Hip measurements -33in/35in