In lieu of my article on Monday (Curb your Temper) I wanted to hear from you on how you deal with punishing your kids. Personally, I used to spank quite often, but have since eased back on the throttle in that regard. Now I do more lecturing, taking away computer time, handing out chores, or just making a comment of disapproval. My punishments are approximately as follows:
- (Becoming annoying) – Try to ignore
- (Being annoying) – Maybe a comment of disapproval
- (Unintentionally hazardous) – Quick two sentence lecture
- (Mouthing off) – Stand in the corner
- (Refusal to help) – Loss of privileges
- (Fighting or belligerence) – Spanking
Problem is, with my oldest. He is too big to spank anymore, which led to our confrontation the other day. Any suggestions?